Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Kingpin: Clearing The Record

The scenery was overrun with Hilmdell's most popular conifer tree, the Colorado Blue Spruce. Distant buildings below were lit up bright and helicopters were encircling. First Detective Cigrand Bawlack knew he would be joining them soon for the after party at the Governor's farm.

The elusive Kingpin had been caught and his entire operation seized and his operatives apprehended, hours ago.

The Kingpin called, "Untouchable" was none other than really small time package delivery man, Sean Parnell Watson, who called police, moments after the final raid, turning himself in.

He didn't look like the crook that the spry First Detective had imagined him to be. The middle aged man seemed too uncommanding to head the largest criminal syndicate in the state.

When he called, he said it's time for him to retire with a nice, new clear record. Fat chance of that. He was getting lethal injection, for sure.

The detective asked, "So, you're the one running this city?"

The Kingpin lit a cigarette and in a practiced voice, smooth and flowing, said sternly, "Self empowerment's dirty little secret is that the only one who'll put you in power is you. Hard work and sacrifice are so d*mn instrumental to success. You can be the pièce de résistance, the best, brightest and tallest and you're still not guaranteed success, but be good, smart or even tall enough and you can be the most important piece in the dish and have the opportunity to succeed, if you'll only take advantage of it and hone your craft every chance you get."

"Oh. Is that what you were doing? Honing your craft? Empowering yourself?", queried Cigrand calmly as he lit a cigarette for himself and continued, "Men, women, boys, girls, infants. Whole families suffered and some died for your billions and you're just gonna wear thrift store clothes, work a dead end sh*t hole job, ride a rickety bicycle and not even put up a hint of a fight?"

Sean took a deep drag from his non-filtered, full flavored, specialty brand, wide turkish cigarette, french inhaling the soft, bluish grey billowed whisps of smoke, reminiscent of the silvery cotton puffs of cirrous clouds, then studying the oven within the cherries glowing red ember, asked serenely, "What do you think life is, detective?"

"Choices. You made the wrong one's. Witnesses, records, warehouses full of goodies, well over 35 some years of transgressions. You don't get to walk away from this. Not alive. You're out of choices, ", remarked a cock sure, Cigrand. Then he produced a set of iron mancles from his utility belt and threw them to Sean, who then put them on.

When they made their way to the detectives undercover unmarked patrol car, the Kingpin, Sean the "Untouchable" Parnell Watson jeered, "I'm walking away free and you're right, there 'are' choices, in life. Such as the choice you made to let me go."

"What choice?", puzzled the detective who now started the engine and he began to drive down the path on the overlook, back towards the hustle and bustle of Hilmdell which, up until tonight, had the highest crime rate in the nation.

Sean, sighed heavily and began, "You chose to bring the entire police force down on my location. I am unarmed. I called you and was coming willingly, without any resistance, but you didn't believe me and you didn't respond to the house fire and save the life of one Harold Ermondo Kingsley.", then Sean looked back through the window at the glowing skyline over the city.

"Since when did you care about people?", shot the detective trying to hide his interest for the wily Kingpin's sudden interest in this Harold, fellow.

Sean grimmaced a grin, "You wound me, detective. Ermondo was called every night for a predetermined code phrase by the international organization. See? It's a lifetime job. You miss one phone call and it's an automatic, live, quick and instant incineration and decimation of Ermondo's beloved community."

The city-wide explosion thundered through the detectives car, threading it off the road. The mentally delicate and vulnerable mind of the detective, shattered beneath the weight and pain of deep, dark, troubled and highly disturbed emotions which jutted out of him through iron gritted teeth, seething as he inquired of Sean, "My whole life was in that city. My wife, my kids ... those cops were my friends. Why!!?!!"

Sean beamed brighter than a head light, "My success has come with many good sacrifices. Whatever you had on me, it's gone."

Sean's calm, arrogant, demeanor soon took an unexpected turn for the worst when Cigrand Bawlack forced his service pistol through Sean's teeth, satisfied to see so much blood gushing from his ugly weapon-filled mouth as he leaned in further across the front seat to mouth the last words the "Untouchable" Watson will ever hear, "I told you, there's no walking away from this alive."

The bars slammed shut on the former detective and new death row inmate, as he laughed aloud about being the Kingpin's final victim. From the cell beside him he heard the guard call, "Aleister Riebauld Kingsley, also known as, Sean Parnell Watson, to the inner circle, your eminence, you are being released today."

Confused, Cigrand Bawlack pressed his face to the bars, only to see a mountain of a man eyeballing him with a look of utter joy and quipping, "Ha, ha, hah! You shot a migrant I was incarcerated with my first year, instead of saving my cousin. He was dying and I offered tens of thousands to his family, if he would meet with you and pretend to be me."

"I've been hiding as an inmate who isn't on record for decades. All of the guards work for me, as do the people who knew the truth and helped to hide me here as I ran my empire, but now, my record is clear and you're out of my hair. You have come closer than anyone to putting assunder my life's work."

"But, now. My, my ... now, I can retire a seriously wealthy man without you being two full steps away. I knew that you would kill me as soon as your precious family died in that fireball. It was too easy. You killed him before they were even ashes. Untouchable, baby! Untouchable.", then he rattled Bawlack's bars in a diabolical fit of laughter and, with that, he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment